Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department Statement of Purpose
The Sheriff’s Department is mandated to enforce the laws of the
Commonwealth and to serve and protect the citizens of Suffolk County.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Maintaining safe and secure custody and control of inmates and pre-trial
- Enhancing public safety by seeking ways to effectively reduce offender
- To meet the challenges presented by this obligation, we must set goals
that inform and improve our relationship with both the public and
External Goal: To enforce the laws of the Commonwealth and to serve
and protect the citizens of Suffolk County. By:
Internal Goal: To build a strong, united, professional organization
dedicated to achieving the external goal. By:
- Meeting and exceeding state and national corrections standards for
all Department operations; and
- Becoming an accessible public resource by identifying shared goals
between the Sheriff’s Department and Suffolk County’s
communities and working to achieve them.
- Providing consistent, high quality training and support for all staff;
- Making merit-based promotions based upon objective evaluation of exemplary
job performance; and
- Increasing diversity and appreciation for its internal and external
benefit to the Department.
Diversity Mission Statement
Understanding the need for diversity in the workplace and the essential
role it plays in our ability to serve the public interest is a priority
for the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department. The process by
which we learn to appreciate the value of internal diversity and its
external impact on the communities we serve should be driven by one
guiding principle: Our differences are also our strengths.