Job Opportunity: Registered Nurse (RN-11)
General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities
Provides routine nursing care and emergency medical treatment; assists other health professionals in caring
for inmates; performs professional general duty nursing in a correctional institution; provides information as
requested; performs related work as required.
Works under the direct administrative supervision of the ADS of Health Services and the general medical supervision
of a physician, dentist, psychiatrist, or physician’s assistant.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide and/or assist in providing medical care and treatment to all detainees/inmates housed at the Jail.
- Maintain accurate and complete medical records, files, and charts regarding each patient seen and for all medications
dispensed or prepared.
- Schedule and prepare records and paperwork for clinic appointments, doctor visits and referrals.
- Respond to all medical emergencies and keep complete and accurate record of medical procedures and personnel involved.
- Assist the physician, psychiatrist, and dentist in delivery of services.
- Notify the Shift Commander of medical emergencies and the need for additional medical assistance in the absence of the
charge nurse or ADS.
- Prepare reports, statistics, records, files, and documents as assigned.
- Interact daily with inmates and detainees.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of all medical, psychiatric and dental standing orders and procedures as well as
Department and Division policies and procedures.
- Be flexible and able to learn and perform new duties and skills as assigned.
- Such other duties as the Sheriff, or her designee, may assign from time to time.
- Regular, punctual and predictable attendance at assigned workplace and post;
- Knowledge of, compliance with, and enforcement of Department, as well as Medical Division, policies and procedures;
- Compliance with security procedures;
- Obeying moderately complex oral and written orders;
- Observing inmates in clinic and/or on closed-circuit TV monitors;
- Listening for possible disturbances;
- Making accurate written entries in patient records and preparing accurate written reports;
- Communicating orally and in writing;
- Using communication, emergency and other equipment;
- Applying medical restraints and safety devices;
- Performing assisted lifting of inmates;
- Participating in training (e.g. annual CPR certification);
- Dealing effectively with inmates one-on-one and in large groups;
- Dealing calmly and effectively with stressful situations, including emergencies; and
- Exercising good judgment.
Minimum Physical Requirements for Essential Functions
- Sit and stand periodically for 8 hours;
- Lift up to 15 pounds;
- Carry up to 5 pounds;
- Climb stairs;
- Walk and run short distances; and
- Write or type.
Additional Functions of Position
- Assist patients into or out of bed;
- Distribute medications using wheeled cart.
- Massachusetts Registration in Registered Nursing.
- Experience or/and training in psychiatry, drug addiction and alcohol abuse, and/or previous
correctional facility nursing experience.
- Have and maintain current CPR certification.
Click here for an APPLICATION.
Additional questions? Email the HR Department.